Purina Equine Senior Horse Feed
by Purina Horse Feed
As horses reach their geriatric years, it becomes important to address the changes that occur by adjusting feeding programs to fit their nutritional needs. Purina® Equine Senior® horse feed is formulated to deliver complete balanced nutrition, including forage, to the senior horse with problems chewing and digesting feed and forages due to age.
Purina® Equine Senior® horse feed provides the specific balance of energy, protein, vitamins, minerals and high-quality fiber (including beet pulp) your senior horse requires to maintain proper body condition. And the unique Easy Soak™Pellet Technology makes it easy to chew, regardless of your horse's chewing ability, and is more digestible than whole grains, hay or pasture. Purina® Equine Senior® horse feed provides the best nutrition for senior horse. Plus, your horse will love the taste.
Feed form: Complete pellet and extruded nuggets
Recommended for: Older Horses, especially those that may be losing weight due to poor nutrient absorption, dental problems or no teeth at all. This feed can replace all or some of the horse forage requirement.
|#1 Veterinarian Recommended Senior Horse Feed|
- 4 out of 5 equine veterinarians recommend Purina’s Equine Senior® horse feed to their clients with senior horses.
|Easy Soak™ Pellet Technology|
- Creates mash in 5 minutes with warm water, * making it easy to chew and swallow for horses with dental problems or no teeth.
*Add 5 quarts warm watter (100° F) to every 6 pounds of feed. Soaking time will vary depending on water temperature.
|Easy to Digest|
- Special blend of fiber sources, including beet pulp and top quality hay, helps maintain the senior horse’s body condition and aid in normal digestive function.
- Built-in quality hay helps senior horses get the fiber they need when dental problems or no teeth prevent them from eating forage.
|Combined Energy Sources|
- More calories from fat, less from sugar provides a diet lower in nonstructural carbohydrates that may help aging horses with difficulty managing blood sugar levels.
|Vitamins and Minerals|
- Provides 100% of the required nutrients for horses when fed as directed* so no additional supplements are necessary. *Based on “Nutrient Requirements of Horses Sixth Revised Edition – 2007” published by the National Research Council.
- The Purina® Amplify® Nugget is a patented, high-fat, extruded particle that contains a proprietary blend of vegetable oils, flaxseed and rice bran for an optimal fatty acid profile that helps support strong immune function.
- Vitamin C and natural source vitamin E help support a healthy immune system.
- Instead of using straight cane molasses which is high in sugar, Purina®Equine Senior® horse feed contains a unique blend of molasses and soy oil for a higher-fat molasses that horses love to eat.
|FeedGuard® Nutrition System|
- The FeedGuard® Nutrition System is one of the industry’s most innovative and exacting quality assurance programs. FeedGuard®Nutrition System can help deliver the trust, quality and performance that horse professionals demand every day.
|COPPER (CU)|| MIN||55||PPM|
Equine Senior® horse feed
| ||- WEIGHT OF HORSE IN POUNDS -|
|LIFESTYLE||600 lbs||800 lbs||1,000 lbs||1,200 lbs||1,400 lbs|
|Equine Senior® horse feed (lbs/day)|
|Light Work||9.00||11.75||14.75 ||17.75 ||20.75 |
Feeding recommendations are based on average daily requirements for horses of different body weights. Actual feeding
rates required to adequately maintain good condition of individual horses will be affected by individual metabolism
and progression rate of aging processes. Therefore, feeding rates may need to be gradually adjusted in some horses
according to body condition. Aging horses unable to maintain adequate body condition when being fed the
recommended amount of Equine Senior® horse feed should be examined by a veterinarian to determine the presence of
potential health issues. Do not feed more than 0.8 lbs per 100 lbs of body weight in one meal. Equine Senior® can be blended with other
feeds or oats for a short time while transitioning your horse to Equine Senior®, but for the long term, Equine Senior should not be mixed
with oats or other grains because these grains will dilute the nutritional balance of Equine Senior® and are more difficult for the
aging horse to chew and digest. Do not feed free choice.
- Do not feed free-choice.
- Feed at regular times (at least twice daily). When feeding rates exceed 1% of body weight, three daily feedings are preferred.
- Any feed changes should be made gradually over a period of 7 to 10 days.
- Changes in the rate of feeding should not exceed one pound per day for each horse.
- Have plenty of fresh, clean water available at all times.
- Prevent the rapid eating by the horse of any feed stuffs.
- Store feed in a dry, well-ventilated area protected from rodents and insects.
- Do not feed moldy or insect-infested feed to animals as it may cause illness or death.
- This product to be fed to the animal species as directed on the label.
- In addition to nutritional care and consultation, be sure to make regular veterinary checkups and farrier appointments part of your horse wellness program.