PurinaŽ Equine Senior Active Healthy Edge Horse Feed
by Purina Horse Feed
Today's horses are living longer lives, and the lifestyle of an active, aging horse requires special care and proper nutrition to maintain optimum health. Purina® Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed is a nutritionally balanced and specifically formulated for the active, aging horse whose caring owner wants their companion to feel as healthy as it looks.
Purina® Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed is designed for moderately active senior horses, providing high fat and fiber with a controlled starch and sugar formula that delivers all the vitamins and minerals needed to stay fit and active. With the best nutrition for the active senior horse, Purina® Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed helps maintain proper body condition to ensure you and your companion can enjoy more quality years together.
Feed form: Concentrated pellets and extruded nuggets
Recommended for: Active senior horses that are easy to average keepers, have good dentition and have no major issues chewing or digesting hay or pasture forage.
- The Purina® Amplify® Nugget is a patented, high-fat, extruded particle that contains a proprietary blend of vegetable oils, flax seed and rice bran for an optimal fatty acid profile that helps support strong immune function.
|Easy to Digest|
- Special blend of fiber sources including beet pulp to help maintain the aging horse's body condition and support normal digestive function.
- High levels of vegetable oils for an appealing body condition and shiny coat.
|Combined Energy Sources|
- More calories from fat, less from sugar - Provides a diet lower in nonstructural carbohydrates that may help aging horses with difficulty managing blood sugar levels.
|High Quality Proteins|
- Proprietary amino acids: The building blocks of proteins that support strong muscle growth, shiny coat and healthy hooves.
|Vitamins and Minerals|
- This nutritionally balanced formula provides 100% of the required nutrients for horses when fed as directed* so no additional supplements are necessary. *Based on “Nutrient Requirements of Horses Sixth Revised Edition – 2007” published by the National Research Council.
|FeedGuard® Nutrition System|
- The FeedGuard® Nutrition System is one of the industry’s most innovative and exacting quality assuranc e programs. FeedGuard®Nutrition System can help deliver the trust, quality and performance that horse professionals demand every day.
|PHOSPHORUS (P)|| MIN||0.60||%|
|SODIUM (NA)|| MIN||0.10||%|
|COPPER (CU)|| MIN||80.00||PPM|
Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed
| ||- WEIGHT OF HORSE IN POUNDS -|
|LIFESTYLE||600 lbs||800 lbs||1,000 lbs||1,200 lbs||1,400 lbs|
|Minimum Hay or Equivalent Pasture*||7.00||9.50||12.00||14.50||17.00|
|Purina® Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® Horse Feed (lbs/day)|
|Maintenance - Minimum Activity||2.00||2.50||3.25||3.75||4.50|
|Maintenance - Average Activity||2.75||3.50||4.25||5.00||5.75|
|Maintenance - Elevated Activity||3.25||4.25||5.25||6.25||7.25|
|Early Gestation (first 250 days)||2.75||3.75||4.50||5.50||6.25|
|Late Gestation (last 90 days)||4.25||5.50||6.75||8.00||9.25|
* This is the recommended minimum amount of hay to be fed. If feeding more hay, reduce the feeding rate of Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed by 1.0 pound for every additional 2.0 pounds of hay fed. EXAMPLE: Using the chart above, if feeding 14 pounds instead of 12 pounds of hay to a 1,000 pound maintenance-elevated activity level horse, reduce Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed offered by 1.0 pound from 5.25 to 4.25 pounds per day (2.0 pounds of additional hay divided by 2.0 pounds = 1.0 pound less of Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed).
Do not feed less than 0.3 pounds per 100 pounds of body weight per day. EXAMPLE: A 1,000 pound horse has ten 100 pound increments (1,000 divided by 100 = 10). So for this horse, do not feed less than 3 pounds per day (10 x 0.3 = 3.0 pounds per day). If your horse gains too much weight at that minimum feeding rate, then you should replace Equine Senior® Active Healthy Edge® horse feed with Purina’s Nature’s Essentials® Enrich 12® or Enrich 32® Horse Supplement.
- Any feed changes should be made gradually over a period of 7 to 10 days. Mix the new feed with the old, gradually increasing the amount of the new feed while decreasing an equal amount of the old. Changes in the rate of feeding should not exceed 1 pound per day for each horse. Feed at regular times, at least twice daily, with three daily feedings preferred. Be sure to weigh your feed using a scale. A small scale can be purchased in the fishing department of many sporting stores.
- Reduce and/or delay feeding a horse that is hot, excited, or showing pain, or has a fever or diarrhea. Consult your veterinarian if any problems arise. Prevent rapid eating.
- Let horses feed in natural position from large feed containers.
- Have plenty of fresh, clean water available at all times.
- Store in a dry, well-ventilated area protected from rodents and insects. Do not feed moldy or insect-infested feed to animals because it may cause illness or death.
- Observe horses daily. Consult your veterinarian for proper preventative health care. Maintain a regular deworming and vaccination program.
- Feeding added selenium resulting in total diet levels in excess of 0.3 ppm is prohibited.